Sunday, January 4, 2009

Do You Know Obama?

(Click Photos to Enlarge)
.
We left Nairobi mid-morning to travel 140 miles to Tenwek Hospital, located in the Bomet District of Kenya's great Rift Valley Province. We soon found ourselves on rural dirt roads that were more pot-holes than they were road. The fact that this 140 mile trip was expected to take 5 hours should've been a clue that the road conditions would leave a lot to be desired. I am actually amazed that we didn't lose an axle on the way there.
.
We traveled through small towns where there appeared to be people everywhere... yet none of them appeared to be going anywhere. They were content to sit along the side of the road, hanging out in front of road-side stores enjoying each other's company. The living conditions were devastating. The homes were pieced together with whatever they appeared to be able to put their hands on. Children were running everywhere - seemingly unattended. While none of them had shoes or adequate clothing and were filthy dirty, they were all sporting huge bright smiles. Something that would endear me to them all in my remaining days in Africa.

.
.
It was very evident when we entered Kenya's Rift Valley Province. It seemed as if we turned a corner and we were greeted by the sweeping plains of the Rift Valley. It was truly breath taking as I attempted to photograph the splendor that was laid out before us. There was a fair amount of traffic and I was intrigued by the vendors that dug a small cave-like holes in the side of the hill along the road and built fires to cook food to sell to the passers by.
.
Before long, our driver stopped at a "curio" shop that was a mere shack along the side of the road so we could take a break and stretch our legs. The driver warned us not to take any photos of the locals because of their belief that taking their photos would steal a piece of their souls.
.
As you can tell, I don't listen very well! We left the US the day after the presidential elections. No matter what your politics, I think we were all glad to get out of the country, leave the elections behind us and just get a break from all the election madness. As soon as we landed in Nairobi we were informed that Kenya was celebrating a national holiday because Obama had won the election. Now, in this very rural area of the African-outback, the gentleman pictured to the right immediately approached me as I exited our van to sell me his wares. I was immediately surprised that he spoke Enlish, and I was further amused that the first thing out of his mouth was... "do you know Obama"?
.
They sell curios in Kenya by the bartering system, so after about 15 minutes of back-and-forth haggling, we had gotten to know each other pretty well. I thought that if I bought some of his carved giraffe that he would allow me to photograph him. What I soon found out was that all he wanted in exchange for the photograph was an ink pen. The fact that it clicked in and out seemed to be completely amazing to him. It was my first truly inter-personal African experience, and although I may have paid a bit more for the giraffe than I should have, I did get what I was after... his photo!
.
Note to self... bring lots of ink pens to Kenya next time around!

No comments: