Saturday, May 22, 2010

Worms Everywhere


Yesterday was a rather exciting day in the OR here at Tenwek. I hadn’t seen any arrow wounds or other such excitement yet like I did on my last trip. We had a standby procedure in the OR in the morning with a pediatric case to-follow in the afternoon. so it was a lot more relaxed than the day before. While I was finishing setting up the pump for the second case Eric came into the room and said, “Tom, take your camera and go into the next OR now – take your camera and go now Tom!”.

OK, so I’ve gotten kind of a reputation around Tenwek as the camera guy and I knew not to question him, so I just follow his directions.

When I got into the next room one of the general surgeons that I'd met while at Tenwek was operating on a young child who had round worms... lots of them.  When I got into the room the surgeon had a large bowl (about the size of Susie's favorite salad bowl) half filled with worms that she was removing from an incision in the the patient's intestine.  It was pretty shocking really. 

She was initially holding a suction into the intestinal incision and was removing the worms with the suction.  There were so many that she was able to reach in with a sponge forceps and grab them to remove them manually. 

The patient had contracted the round worms from oral-fecal contamination and was admitted to the hospital with symptoms of a bowel obstruction.  The whole procedure was pretty amazing.


I returned to the cardiac OR for my procedure only to be summoned to the OR on the other side of my room for a patient with "wadoodoo's" coming out of his foot.  You'll have to wait for that one tomorrow.  It's 1:00 am and we're leaving Tenwek tomorrow morning to go on safari for 3 days.  I'm not sure if I'll have internet at the Masa Mara  but will try to post the wadoodoo story in the morning before I leave at 9:30.

We finished all of our surgeries for the week this morning.  All the patient's are doing well and it's hard to believe our time at Tenwek will be over in the morning.  This afternoon a group of us walked up to Montigo Hill.  It was about an 85 mile walk (well it felt like that anyway) and of course I took a couple hundred pictures.  I'm hoping to have some down-time on safari to post some more shots of Tenwek.  Kenya is spectacular right now with all of the rain they've been having. 

More tomorrow, hopefully...

7 comments:

Don Moore said...

Tom,
I have enjoyed each story and the photos. Can't wait to hear about everything when you return. Keep shooting.... as if I need to remind you.

Susie (aka:Mama Klein) said...

Ewwww,, those worms are rather gross!! Brings back the day I discovered the pt. with the "maggets" in the ICU at County years ago.....

Can't wait to hear what the "wadoodoos" are!

Relax and purely enjoy the next adventure of your trip at your 5 Star Masa Mara safari. Can't wait to hear the rest of the stories.

Love and miss you,
♥♥♥

Unknown said...

oh my goodness!

Unknown said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Unknown said...

ahhhhhhhhh

Natalie Scott said...

Tom,
Well, now that I am home I am getting the chance to see the infamous Tom at Tenwek blog. It is fantastic! I will share it with my friends as it gives a wonderful glimpse into the world that has changed me forever as well. Thank you for capturing so much of what we experienced at Tenwek. Being in Tenwek with the heart team was such a blessing. We are praying for you guys and the next trip. :o)
Natalie, AKA, "the worm surgeon"

Tom said...

Hi Natalie,

What an honor to have you post on the blog - especially on this post! Thanks for allowing us into your OR while we were at Tenwek. It was great to meet you and your husband and to see you again at the Safari.

It would be great to see you again at Tenwek someday!

Blessings to you both.


Tom